The Eastern Shore Entrepreneurship Center (ESEC) and Maryland Capital Entreprises (MCE) have joined together to offer the second annual Eastern Shore Business Plan Competition. Both organizations strive to advance and expand the entrepreneurial ecosystem on Maryland's Eastern Shore and collaborate to execute a business plan competition that will draw greater attention to the Eastern Shore and attract entrepreneurs to the opportunities and resources available in the region. The application process for the competition has begun and we are looking forward to your submissions!
The purpose of the competition is to promote and encourage the startup of new businesses and in turn the creation of new jobs on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
Same as last year, the competition serves as an opportunity for the First Place winner to automatically advance to the Semi-Final Round of the 2014 InvestMaryland Challenge business competition in pursuit of $100,000 cash prize. New this year, all three winners may enter FREE (application fee waived) into the 2014 MassChallenge competition in pursuit of the four-month accelerator program which provides world-class mentorship and training, free office space, access to funding, media and more along with $1M in cash awards ($10M+ in-kind support).
A total Prize amount of $35,000 in cash and services will be awarded to the top three winners of the competition.
FIRST PLACE - $20,000 in cash and services; plus Semi-Final placement in the InvestMaryland Challenge; plus free entry into the MassChallenge acccelerator competition
- SECOND PLACE - $10,000 in cash and services; plus free entry into the MassChallenge acccelerator competition
THIRD PLACE - $5,000 in cash and services; plus free entry into the MassChallenge acccelerator competition
- Individuals or teams interested in the competition must confirm ELIGIBILITY and then complete REGISTRATION and submit all your SUBMISSION material by MONDAY OCTOBER 28, 2013).
Eligibility and Rules:
- Business plans may be submitted by individuals or by teams that are legal U.S. residents.
- There is no limit to the number of people on a team.
- Each unique business plan submitted must be an innovative and scalable plan for a successful business which is fundable.
- Any idea of a commercial endeavor is valid.
- All submissions must be the original work of those making the submission.
- Submissions must describe a new business or an early stage company.
- All finalists or winners must agree that they will use the prize winnings to establish or continue business operations in Maryland Eastern Shore counties.
- Existing businesses may propose a new business that would have operations in Maryland Eastern Shore counties.
- All submissions must pay a $150 submission fee.
- Make sure to click on the signup button at the top of the page to create an account.
- Once you complete the signup process, you'll get an email to confirm your registration. Make sure to check your spam box just in case! Please add us to your safe sender list so that you can continue to receive messages from us.
- Complete the Eligibility form that confirms you understand and meet all requirements, rules, and regulations of the competition. Then you will complete the Registration form.
- Upon our review and acceptance of your Eligibility and Registration Forms, we will then activate your account to allow your submission of a business plan and other information. YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO SUBMIT YOUR BUSINESS PLAN INFORMATION UNTIL WE CONFIRM BY EMAIL THAT WE HAVE APPROVED YOUR ELIGIBILITY AND REGISTRATION.
- When you are ready to submit your Business Plan, upload all application material on the site as per the instructions you'll see when you log in.
Round - (Monday - October 28, 2013 - 11:59 PM)
- Fill out your Registration and Eligibility Forms online
- Fill out information for your team (if applicable)
- Upload your Business Plan Submission and Financial Projections
Round 2 - (Monday - November 11, 2013)
- Announcement of five (5) Finalists
Round 3 - (Thursday - November 21, 2013)
- This is the final presentation round. A maximum of five individuals or teams will make it to this round and will present in front of a panel of judges during a session of the Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce Business Expo. The judges will determine who will win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards with the winners being announced during the Business Expo Networking Reception.
The Competition recognizes that applicants may be concerned about the confidentiality of their business plans. Applicants are permitted to exclude any information they regard as confidential. The business name, business description included within your submission, first name, last name, city, state and country will be considered “public information” and may be used in public documentation related to the competition. While we will take measures to ensure the protection of intellectual property and preserve the confidentiality of each submission, the Competition cannot take further responsibility to protect the intellectual property or other rights of each entrant. Protection of such rights is ultimately the responsibility of each entrant. As a result of the foregoing, neither the Competition, ESEC, MCE, nor any of the individuals reviewing the business plans submitted can guarantee any of the information contained within the business plans will remain confidential.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact:
Executive Director, Eastern Shore Entrepreneurship Center
If you have any technical questions about how to use the site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the software application providers can help address your question.